Meditation – what is it?
Meditation is not a belief, religion, or magic. It is technology with techniques that uses the senses and body to create a communication between YOU – that is your inner strength- your soul, mind, and body. It helps to cleanse your mind and helps you to focus on your energy. As you progress, you begin to avoid mistakes, stay healthy, and become kind towards others and prayerful.
Meditation gives the opportunity to produce stillness within yourself and you do not react to the continuous movement of the mind. You are able to process all types of thoughts and feelings easily and relax and rejuvenate yourself to be better able to handle stress and create a rapport with others around you.
A good Place to Meditate
Wherever you feel undisturbed for some time, a place with a fair temperature where you don’t feel too cold or hot. Take a firm but soft cushion to sit on- most practitioners of Kundalini Yoga prefer cotton or wool blanket or sheepskin. If you are unable to sit cross-legged, then sit on a chair, making sure that the weight is distributed equally on both feet. The spine must be straight as it is the central channel of nervous system energy.
Many people create a special place in their home for meditation. They put some uplifting objects that remind them of their nature or spirit.
What is a good time to Meditate?
Any time you are ready and feel alert. Experienced meditators like the morning hours between 4:00 am to 8:00 am. This is a quiet time and you will not get disturbed by the activity and energy of daily life. Many people meditate before going to bed, so they may clear all energies and create energy for the upcoming day.
When not to meditate: Please do not meditate after a big meal as all the blood is in the stomach, and little is left for the brain.
For how much time should I meditate?
Since there are different types of meditation, they vary with technique from 3 minutes to 21/2 hours. Even 5 minutes of meditation is helpful as it allows you to connect with your inner self, which otherwise is not possible amidst your busy routines to let you notice that you are even alive.
What Should I wear for meditation?
As long as you are comfortable, you can dress anyhow. Make sure that your clothes are nonrestrictive. Some practitioners like to practice physical activities like yoga. So dress so that you may be able to freely exercise. Kundalini yoga allows you to connect with yourself so choose a dress that is clean, fresh, and light in composition and color.
Many practitioners use cotton head coverings, as prayer shawls, yarmulkes, turbans, or wear long hair. All these coverings allow the maximum amount of solar energy to enter the body. It is optional to use a head covering, however, tying your hair up and back helps in concentration.
A special Diet?
Meditators eat lightly for good health in mind. Eating the lightest diet allows the mind to be calm and focused. Some types of meditation enable healing and use a special diet to work on specific organs or glands. Avoid drugs than those given by doctors as the psychoactive drugs may imbalance the mind and body.
How do I practice Kundalini Yoga?
Using sounds and breath effectively.
Before trying a specific meditation technique, it is useful to understand two basic components of most Kundalini Yoga meditations: the use of sounds, and the use of breath. Meditations use sound as mantras and words use big thoughts as Love, God, and Truth. Using basic sounds that penetrate the mind and gives a new positive direction to thoughts that break our narrow, normal, fears and confines, and help to elevate us.
People use mantras in daily life and repeat it aloud or silently in meditation. It causes alterations in the usage patterns of the brain, emotional balance, neural chemistry, and so forth. Using the mantra reinforces the changes in meditation.
You can use the mantras in three ways or languages. The ways vary as per consciousness. Some meditation methods include all three ways. The ways are defined below.
- A normal voice or loud voice as per the language of things human and worldly
- A whisper of lovers that is strong and longing to belong,
- And chanting mentally or silently, which is the divine language of infinity
No matter which method you use, you can use techniques to make your mantra more powerful.
One technique is to see the mantra. Visualizing it to be written out as you say it. The other method is to listen to it, actively.
Breath is commonly used by various methods of meditation. Attention is paid to the flow of breath or concentrating on patterns as you breathe. These patterns include:
- Regulating the ratio of inhaling and exhaling
- Breaking the breath into segments
- Or using mantras with breath
Why use a breath?
Breath is co-related with energy level and moods. you can alter these aspects by altering-
RateDr. Ved, Sanjeevani Kaya Shodhan Sansthan
It is a good idea to have an instructor to help you through the process. Stop if you get dizzy. Breath meditation creates changes that it is necessary for you to feel comfortable and balanced with.
Breath meditation has a deep impact on your metabolism, moods, and vitality. Breathing is always done through the nose unless specified otherwise.
How to Practice Kundalini Yoga?
- Posture and Preparation:
- Sit cross-legged or in a chair as your body allows.
- Make sure that your spine is straight.
- Relax your hands, in the lap. Let them face upwards and let the right-hand rest in the left hand.
- Relax your shoulders, lift your chest to support your spine.
- Keep the eyes minutely open 1/10 so as to let little light in.
- Bring your attention to breath flow
- Notice the breath- inhaling and exhaling and all movements within the body.
- After a few minutes consciously slow your breath. Normal breathing includes breathing 14 to 17 times per minute. In meditation 4 breaths or fewer is sufficient per minute.
- Your mind may create a chatter
- You can use the mantra as “Ram”, “Sat Nam”
- If you concentrate on Ram, then think the word Ram as you breathe in and again when you breathe out.
- If you concentrate on “Sat Nam”, then say “Sat” as you breathe in, and “Nam” as you breathe out.
- If your mind wanders, simply redirect it to the mantra, and breathe.
- This is a simple way to clear the subconscious and train the mind.
- Let the thoughts come and go and the sensations of the mind. Practice for about 6 to 8 minutes. Once you are done, you can exhale and inhale deeply. Exhale and stretch your hands to the ceiling. And relax.