Naturopathy deals with disorders in a holistic way where emphasis is given to the whole person. Focus is laid on treating the cause and also the totality of the disease. At Sanjeevani the program is structured in a way that the doctors spend time and educate the patients so they are empowered to consciously make positive changes in fighting their disease.
Eating disorders include bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder and also eating disorder.
“The disorders may be different from one another in symptoms however very little distinction lies among them, clinically speaking. This is because they all contain the states of restriction, binging and purging as witnessed in all patients in all the diseases” states Dr. Mathur.
Briefly going over the three most common disorders;
- Anorexia: The patients fear excessive weight gain and food intake is reduced drastically. It can lead to death if not controlled.
- Bulimia: The patient indulges in over eating, followed by vomiting or strenuous exercise.
- Binge Eating Disorder: The patient has no control over eating, but does not involve any purging, which is an attempt to remove the food from the system.
Holistic approach is the best way to deal with these disorders. The following factors need special attention as they contribute to overall well-being.
Nutritional factor: Ensure a proper healthy diet
- Emotional/ psychological: the main reason for the disorder is anxiety that causes the problem. “Speaking with the Naturopathic Doctors daily, which is the part of the Sanjeevani Kaya Shodhan Program, helps the doctors to connect with the patients, one-to-one and monitor the individual case.” Says Dr Pradeep Mathur at Sanjeevani Kaya shodhan Sansthan. The patients feel free to talk to the doctors assisting them. In turn this enables the doctors to understand the underlying emotions, thoughts and behaviors which they help the patients to overcome.
Physical Factor: the problems the body might have incurred during disorder which include sleep, digestion, hormones and energy.
Dr. Mathur says that, “regulated system packed with, yoga and awareness of the body function and care, treatment, massage therapy, meditation, gym and walk helps the patients to disengage with their problems.” He adds, “Also they become part of a healthy atmosphere as they mingle with other patients and they all feel like a family.
The scenic walkways, satsang, positive vibrations of the picturesque Ashram with Jaap Ghar/ (meditational chanting hall) helps the patients to connect with positivity.”
Dr. Vashisht adds that “They feel relaxed and happy in the friendly positive atmosphere where all are working to get fit and back in to life.”
The doctors motivate the patients to do better and the care of the treatment staff goes a long way in recovery of the patients. At a time like this patients need support of family, friends and near and dear ones. But besides that the good atmosphere here enables many to associate and become friends with other patients.
“They form groups and become like a family”, Dr. Mathur adds, “Also special discourses, and group association of patients in the evening gives them a chance to know each other. They enjoy the lush greens and fountains, as they spend time together talking, singing, and conversing.
As the patients get educated and more aware of body care in yoga sessions and treatment, they realize their food habits choices and activities are responsible for their struggle with irritable bowel symptom or allergies.
The patients and even undiagnosed individuals might have witnessed atleast one time when they went into binge eating. “When they started eating something – perhaps a crunchy, salty chip or a high sugar frozen dessert – and had a difficult time stopping at 1, 2, or even 3 portions. This may be for a multitude of reasons: such foods are lacking in nutritional content (which the body is demanding), blood sugar imbalances, or sensitivities to the chemicals or some aspect of the food which is being eaten”, notesEating Disorder Hope.
Dr Mathur says that there may be “physical or biochemical factors that come in the way of maintaining a healthy weight or coming out of disordered eating patterns.”
These factors have to be controlled to come out of the eating disorders. These factors include:
- Improving Digestion: Liver function and digestive health must be maintained. Dieters incur a problem when yeast grows in the stomach, called Candidiasis.
It can create symptoms as:
- Food cravings (for sugar and starches)
- Inability to lose weight
- Foggy headedness
- Digestive infections as parasites must also be checked
Regulation of Brain Chemistry: These chemicals in the brain regulate thoughts, alertness and emotions. The neurotransmitter serotonin reduces depression and GABA has a calming effect. Depression and anxiety are caused by imbalances in the brain chemistry that can be the reason for eating disorders. Foods rich in amino acid are included to increase the production of neurotransmitters.
Maintaining Blood sugar Balance: Mood swings and irritability are caused due to imbalance in blood sugar. It is better to have frequent small meals that maintain the blood sugar. The meals must have sufficient amount of proteins included. Balanced meal with regular exercising is important, which is naturally included in the treatment program at Sanjeevani Gohana.
The following natural remedies may help in controlling the blood sugar:
- Mineral chromium
- Gymnema herb
- Cinnamon a good insulin resistant with excessive dietary sugars intake leading to weight gain and type 2 diabetes.
- Hormone Regulation
The adrenal gland is responsible for regulating the body functions as:
- Blood Sugar
- Production of other Hormones
Stress is a factor that can overstimulate or weaken the adrenal glands. As a result the following ailments may occur:
- Low Thyroid Function enables weight gain.
- Hypothyroid condition
- Neurotransmitter and Hormone Imbalance: During menstruation when women get chocolate cravings it is because of neurotransmitter and hormone imbalance. The drop in serotonin levels cause the craving that is satisfied with chocolate binge temporarily.
- Food Allergies
Food allergy can affect the eating habits. This helps to avoid cravings and binges. One craves for what one is allergic to and only their elimination from the diet reveal their harmful effect.
- Normal Diet
The doctors layout a food plan for patients before they are discharged and a certain amount of calories are a must as per situation, lifestyle. They recommend high-quality proteins, carbohydrates, some fats and whole grains, and lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. Foods rich in amino acid, and other supportive supplements that curb the cravings for starches and sugars are added in the plan.
The imbalances cause cravings for alcohol, makes chronic dieters and even causes bulimia. So the treatment plan at Sanjeevani Gohana strives to get your lifestyle and eating sleeping habits back in balance.
Sanjeevani Kaya Shodhan Sansthan Goes online for bookings!
You can now make online payments to make reservations and book your treatment-stay at Sanjeevani Kaya Shodhan Sansthan.
If you have any concerns or queries regarding diseases treated or therapies or your special situation, write your post at Ask The Doctor section.